Products are the objects to sell in the eCommerce site. TheCartPress allows to create as many type of Products as you need.
To create a product:
- Log in to your WordPress Administration Panel (Dashboard).
- Click the Products tab.
- Click the Add New Sub Tab
- Start filling in the blanks: title (product name), description, price, etc.
- As needed, select a category, add tags, and make other selections from the sections below the product. Each of these sections is explained below.
- When you are ready, click Publish.
Descriptions of Product Fields
- The title of your products. You can use any words or phrases. Avoid using the same title twice as that will cause problems. You can use commas, apostrophes, quotes, hypens/dashes, and other typical symbols.
- Product Editing Area
- The blank box where you enter product description, links, links to images, and any information you want to display on your site about the product. You can use either the Visual or the HTML view to compose your products.
- Preview button
- Allows you to view the product before officially publishing it.
- Publish box
- Contains buttons that control the state of your product. The main states are Published, Pending Review, and Draft. A Published status means the product has been published on your eCommerce for all to see. Pending Review means the draft is waiting for review by an editor prior to publication. Draft means the product has not been published and remains a draft for you. If you select a specific publish status and click the update product or Publish button, that status is applied to the product. For example, to save a product in the Pending Review status, select Pending Review from the Publish Status drop-down box, and click Save As Pending. (You will see all products organized by status by going to products > Edit). To schedule a product for publication on a future time or date, click “Edit” in the Publish area next to the words “Publish immediately”. You can also change the publish date to a date in the past to back-date products. Change the settings to the desired time and date. You must also hit the “Publish” button when you have completed the product to publish at the desired time and date.
- Publish box
- Visibility – This determines how your product appears to the world. Public product will be visible by all website visitors once published. Password Protected products are published to all, but visitors must know the password to view the product content. Private products are visible only to you (and to other editors or admins within your site)
- After you save your product, the Permalink below the title shows the potential URL for the product, as long as you have permalinks enabled. (To enable permalinks, go to Settings > Permalinks.) The URL is generated from your title. In previous versions of WordPress, this was referred to as the “page-slug.” The commas, quotes, apostrophes, and other non-HTML favorable characters are changed and a dash is put between each word. If your title is “My Product”, it will be cleaned up to be “my-product” as the title. You can manually change this, maybe shortening it to “my-product”.
- Allows you to save your product as a draft / pending review rather than immediately publishing it. To return to your drafts later, visit Products – Edit in the menu bar, then select your product from the list.
- Publishes your product on the site. You can edit the time when the product is published by clicking the Edit link above the Publish button and specifying the time you want the product to be published. By default, at the time the product is first auto-saved, that will be the date and time of the product within the database.
- Allows to type the price of the product. The format and currency is configured from the settings page $gt; Currency section.
- TheCartPress supports, by default, two type of products, Simple and Grouped. “Simple” is the typical type of a product. “Grouped” is used to join a set of Simple products. Only the simple products can be purchased.
- Allows to set the tax to apply to the product. TheCartPress allows ro apply different taxes. Take a look to the taxes settings and taxes admin panel
- Produc Tags
- Refers to micro-categories for your eCommerce, similar to including index entries for a page. Products with similar tags are linked together when a user clicks one of the tags. Tags have to be enabled with the right code in your theme for them to appear in your products. Add new tags to the products by typing the tag into the box and clicking “Add”.
- The general topic the product can be classified in. Readers can browse specific categories to see all products in the category. To add a new category, click the +Add New Category link in this section. You can manage your categories by going to Products > Categories.
- A summary or brief teaser of your products featured on the front page of your site as well as on the category, archives, and search non-single product pages. Note that the Excerpt does not usually appear by default. It only appears in your product if you have changed the index.php template file to display the Excerpt instead of the full Content of a post. If so, TheCartPress-WordPress will automatically use the first 55 words of your post as the Excerpt or up until the use of the More Quicktag mark. If you use an Explicit Excerpt, this will be used no matter what..
Creating Grouped Products
Create Grouped product you need to follow these steps:
- Create 2 simple products (for example ) and one Grouped
- Using “Manage grouped products” link, from the Grouped product edit panel (search for a box called “Related data”) you ca visit the page where you can join or associated the Simple products to the Grouped one
- Using “Create new grouped product” link you can create a Simple product and automatically TheCartPress associates it to the Grouped one.
- In the “Manage grouped products” page you can change the order and the initial units to show in the product page, and create new associations.